Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wait a minute! Nicolas Cage makes a great performance? No way!

Yes, it's true. I wasn't that impressed by the trailers for The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans, but after watching it I would say this is the best performance from Cage since... Leaving Las Vegas! He's made a few decent performances since then (Face/Off, 8MM, Lord of War) but the rest has more or less been crap. Really. It's like he lost his inspiration, his goal with acting. 

I guess it has something to do with Werner Herzog behind the wheels, because a strong director could do something good with Cage and here he brings Cage back as a master-actor. He's fun, very tragic, he takes drugs and fucks around, no direct over-acting either... I couldn't believe my eyes during this movie. 

And yes, this is a good, sometime even GREAT, movie to. All actors are doing fine, the script is spot-on and I'm just happy to know that there's no Abel "Zzzzz" Ferrara behind the camera messing things up.

He's back, Nicolas Cage. At least for one movie, because then his acting will be back to zero again with The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Ghost Rider 2, though I have some hopes for Season of the Witch, Kick-Ass and Drive Angry.

Who knows what the future brings us?

1 comment:

Ty said...

Loved Nic Cage in this! Totally agree, one of his best performances to date!