Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My collection of Jack the Ripper-movies is growing!


I noticed that I have a bunch of Jack the Ripper-movies in my collection, which isn't suprising because I love good old Jack ;)

UPDATED 11-01-11

Here's my Ripper-filmography so far, not including the movies above:

(movies with Jack the Ripper... or very close)

The Lodger (1944) - A masterpiece, without a doubt.

Man in the Attic (1953) - Haven't seen it yet, but Jack Palance is Jack!

Jack the Ripper (1959) - Haven't seen it before, so this could be fun!

A Study in Terror (1965) - Love this one, quite bloody too and good atmosphere.

Hands of the Ripper (1971) - Okey, okey! this is about his daughter, but I still sees it like a "real" Ripper-movie)

Jack the Ripper (1976) - Klaus Kinski and Jess Franco, nothing to do with reality - but fun!

Murder by Decree (1979) - Wonderful and classy movie by Bob Clark.

Time After Time (1979) - I love this! Very entertaining time-traveling movie!

Jack the Ripper (1988) - Great mini-series with Michael Caine.

The Ripper (1997) - Ripper-story with Patrick Bergin.

From Hell (2001) - Underrated and gory.

(Inspired by)

Das Ungeheuer von London City (1964) - A Bryan Edgar Wallace-story about a copycat in London. Not bad.

Jack el destripador de Londres (1971) - Sleazy favorite, also about a copycat in London. With Paul Naschy!

Jack's Back (1988) - Great thriller with some minor connections to the Ripper-case.

Ripper (2001) - I'm probably the only one who likes this slasher!

Whitechapel (2009) - Wondeful UK mini-series with Ripper-style killings in modern day London.

The Lodger (2009) - Another remake of the old story, quite good.

(TV-episodes)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974), "The Ripper" - Maybe not the best episode, but still good.

Friday the 13th: The Series (1987), "Doctor Jack" - Nice episode and a little favorite of mine.

I'm also wondering if I should dare watching David Hasselhoffs Terror at London Bridge or the Tom Savini-turkey The Ripper from 1985. I actually would like to, if they where out on dvd so I could own them.

Maybe one day...

10 comments:

Jocke Andersson said...

I can tell you this:

The ripper - Shot on video crap, unbelivably boring. Very, very gory though.

Fred Anderson said...

* Shot on video crap.
* Unbelivably boring.
* Very, very gory though.

Sounds exactly like a movie from Andreas Schnaas ;)

Lavaughn Towell said...

Interesting blog!

The Terror on London Bridge is exactly what you expect from a TV movie--bad dialogue, cheap sets and a hilariously contrived ending.

1927's The Lodger directed by Hitchcock is actually worth a look, as it is pretty atmospheric. The remake from the beginning of this year had potential, but failed.

Ninja Dixon said...

Lavaughn: welcome! :)

The strange thing is that I'm a big Hitchcock-fan but never seen his first official masterpiece, The Lodger. I guess I just don't know which dvd to get.

Yeah, I heard the latest version failed... but I will try it anyway :)

Which is your favorite Ripper-movie?

Lavaughn Towell said...

I have to say that From Hell is my favorite. Not the most accurate, but very fun and stylish. From Time to Time is a close second, because the "present" is so dated. I think David Warner is a good "Jack."

I've watched Hitchcock's movie on YouTube and believe it's still at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwazCW7fzk


Thanks for the welcome!

Anonymous said...

I have always liked the tv-version with Michael Caine. I am going to watch that Kolchak episode now, long time no see. Love the first movie of Kolchak, easy the best episode.

Ninja Dixon said...

Lavaughn: From Hell is underrated. I've heard a lot of negative things about it, but I saw it in cinema and fell in love. Seen it many times on dvd to. I guess they want to compare it with the graphic novel, but it's two different things in this case.

Anonymous: That show is great, and I've seen it many times since childhood. I especially like the actor-storyline, and the creepy transformation-scene at the theater.

Jack J said...

Jack the Ripper can kiss my ass! If it weren't for him I wouldn't have had to go thru 10 yrs of school with damn kids thinking it was the highest form of comedy to call me "Jack the Ripper". PFFFT!!!

LOL.

Ninja Dixon said...

To be honest, even I thought of you when I was going through my Ripper-collection ;)

Jack J said...

Haha.

Incidentally, Jack the Ripper disappeared from London in '88 and I moved to London in '88. Just, there were 100 yrs inbeteween. xD