Friday, October 26, 2012

The Color Bulk-Purple: An Interview with Jordan Lawson

Yesterday I reviewed The Amazing Bulk and today I'm publishing two interviews, the first one with director Lewis Schoenbrun and now the Bulk himself, actor and musician Jordan Lawson!


Ninja Dixon: Hi Jordan! Thanks for joing me for this interview! I really enjoyed The Amazing Bulk!

Jordan Lawson: Thanks so much for the interview! I'm glad you enjoyed the film.

ND: As I wrote to Lewis, this is one of the craziest movies I've seen in quite a while. How did you get involved in this project?

JL: I became involved with this film after meeting Lewis in North Hollywood and reading for the role. I knew about some of the people involved from a few friends in the business, so I was prepared for an 'Out There' kind of project.

ND: As an actor, how do you prepare for a very special movie like this? I understand that there was mostly a greenscreen.

JL: I always dig as deep as I can into a character and develop a sense of who they are and what point(s) they are trying to make. I put those points into the performance and pray that others will understand them. Shooting in front of a green-screen is always fun but more of a task when your only tool is your imagination.

ND: Did you have any idea how the finished movie would look? How was your reaction?

JL: I pretty much knew what to expect before I saw the finished film. Everyone on set had the same attitude about what it was, and we all had fun in the process. That is what this film is. Fun! Although I think a good way for a viewer to watch something such as this is to not have any expectations and just sit back and prepare to be laughing your ass off the entire time.

ND: I can see on your IMDB page that you're a veteran among indie-movies but also done some bigger stuff for TV. What's the difference, except the budget?

JL: Yes! Indie films are always great to be a part of and I have a blast every time! I have met so many wonderful, talented people and I am very grateful for that. To answer your question, I think there are many differences when it comes to an indie film and a studio production. Time, or as I like to say 'Breathing Room' is always there when you're on a big budget project, and it gives you an advantage. Indie films, not all but some, have a similar quality when it comes to a shooting schedule and what you have to work with. As an actor, you use what ever time you have and go with it. Use it wisely.


ND: The Amazing Bulk is a small movie with big ideas. It's both a lot of cheese and a lot of passion, which usually goes together. How was it working with Lewis here?

JL: Lewis and I got along from the start. He gave me good ideas and was really on top of it. I was happy about that. If the actor and director can't see eye to eye then there is no film. He knew what he wanted from me, what kind of audience he would attract and how to not get us all killed, which is more than I can say for some, but I think he pulled it off.

ND: What kind of reactions have you gotten so far on The Amazing Bulk? All filmmakers get bad reviews sometimes - including me - and sometimes the easiest way for a reviewer is to take a shot at the actors because they're the face of the movie. What's your opinion about this? If you've gotten any bad reviews, how do you deal with them? And how do you deal with good reviews?

JL: There are always good reviews and bad reviews for everything. I believe everyone has their fair share of both. I am always glad to hear when people like the films I appear in and that is one of many things that keep me going. I have noticed that with any project, when there is a bad review, it always seems to be much longer than a good one. They seem to have more time on their hands than the ones writing good reviews. I have seen video reviews, good and bad, that are longer than the actual film. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has different likes and dislikes. You can't please everyone. So pick your poison, sit back, relax and enjoy yourself!

ND: What's next in line for you now? Can you tell us about some upcoming projects?

JL: I have just finished 2 feature films that are due by the end of this year. 'Shoot the Saxophone Player', a 1920's mafia film and 'Just a Simple Love Story', a romantic comedy. I have another film in the works that will be starting up by November this year as well. Keep an eye out for what's next! This should be good!

ND: Thank you Jordan, I'm happy you got the time to answer these questions and good luck in future adventures!

JL: Thank you to all those who take the time to check out this site, and thanks so much Fred! Keep doing your thing and I'll see you soon I'm sure.

Make sure to visit Jordan's official IMDB page and keep yourself updated!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have noticed that with any project, when there is a bad review, it always seems to be much longer than a good one."

Lawson might be right about that....I never thought about it.

He had some really cool credits on his IMDB page....Public Enemies (2009), Dexter etc.

Who knows...he might be big someday.

Good interview, thanks ninja.

Megatron

Ninja Dixon said...

That's one reason you rarely see bad reviews at Ninja Dixon - I don't like writing about bad movies :) I prefer to focus my energy on productions that gave me something, if it's simple entertainment or something stronger, emotionally.

And I'm very sure Jordan will grow bigger, and I would like to see him as a highly productive character actor. Mostly because that's what I want to be :)

Anonymous said...

Ninja: Yeah...maybe you and Lawson should do something together.

Always thought you were the swedish version of Vic Diaz.

Of course you need more roles of playing evil henchman in swedish thrillers.

Megatron