Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A package from Sergio Donati...

It's always nice to come home after a terrible day to be met by a gift at your door. This time the packaged was sent from a certain "S. Donati" and I could almost guess what it was. Some years ago I found the first US edition of Sergio Donati's crime novel The Paper Tomb, printed in the late fifties or so. I mention this to Sergio on Facebook (yes, where else?) and shortly thereafter he asked for my adress... and here it is, the new Giallo-style edition of Il Sepolcro Di Carta! 

This was actually filmed by Tinto Brass in 1967, Deadly Sweet, but what I understand it's very, very loosely based on the book. For you who's not familiar with Sergio Donati's writing, here's a couple of the scripts he's written during the years: Too Beautiful to Die (one of the most underrated giallos of the eighties), Sergio Martino's Island of the Fishmen, Joe D'Amato's Tough to Kill, Alberto De Martino's Holocaust 2000 (which is a personal favorite of mine), Orca, A Fistful of Dynamite and THE best western ever made: Once upon a time in the West! You can check his filmography here




Thank you Mr Donati for this great gift. I can't read Italian, but I will read The Paper Tomb again in English and write a little review here sooner or later :)

7 comments:

Jocke Andersson said...

:)

Well, I got my poster of a scantily clad Maria Kosti today. Damn, I wonder if she is on the internet :)

Ninja Dixon said...

Hunt her down, Jocke! Go get her now! :)

Fredrik said...

Very cool indeed...

Jack J said...

What I like about you, Fred, is that nothing is too crappy or low for you to love! Most reviewers dismiss "Holocaust 2000" but it's a favourite to you. That's the spirit! xD

And congrats with the book.

Ninja Dixon said...

Jack: It think it's because I want to be loved myself, so I care for the movies that somepeople care less about ;)

No, seriously. I just like them a lot. Some people call it bad taste, I call it to have an open mind!

dfordoom said...

I hadn't heard of Holocaust 2000, but I like the sound of it so I've just ordered a copy!

Alex B. said...

Island of the Fishmen is my favourite adventure film of all time, and Tough to Kill is a fun D'Amato film.
Donati sure sounds like a nice person, congatulations on the gift Fred!